Home again

Well, we've been home since Saturday, but extremely busy with resuming our routine. Elijah has a bug. He isn't feeling well and we hope it isn't anything serious or about to be. He's just cranky, extra sleepy, watery eyes, etc. David will take him to the doc tomorrow if he doesn't improve. He was so well all week for our trip and I really, really want that trend to continue.

Please bear with me as I share my heart on two topics: CPR skills and Ripley's shenanigans.

Take Red Cross CPR and First Aid, people!
You know I work at the Red Cross in Tulsa, but I passionately believe in the work we do. During our trip in Florida, I had to perform back blows on Elijah to dislodge a banana puff that had totally blocked his airway. He wasn't breathing and I didn't panic. I yelled, "He isn't breathing," but I knew exactly what to do. And, shockingly, pretty calmly proceeded to pick Eli up and begin the process of pounding on his back to dislodge the object. It worked and Elijah began breathing again. Looking back, I'm impressed with myself. I really believe that you simply have to be prepared for that kind of thing. Most people who use the skill, use it on a friend or family member. I hope all of my family learns so that if ever I need it or Eli needs it while I'm not around, someone will know what to do with calm precision.

Never go to Ripley's Believe It or Not!
My second soap box: I took Sophia to see the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum in Panama City Beach. I remember fondly watching the show as a child with my family. I cannot recall particulars, but I certainly didn't have any qualms about going to the museum. What I found was replicas of extraordinary individuals who lived in the middle of the 20th century. One man who was born without legs. One man who was born with an overgrowth syndrome who grew to 8 feet tall. A woman born with a dwarfism syndrome who grew to 3 feet. I was appalled that our society still accepts such mockery of individuals who were born with extraordinary challenges to overcome. The presentation of each was tasteful...as tasteful as it could be...often complimenting the individual on his or her achievements, but what gives us the right in 2008 to marvel at their uniquenesses? What gives Ripley's relatives the right to make a buck on their memories of what must have been very difficult lives? Show me the car covered in pennies, show me the boat carved from Jade and show me the tiniest radio ever invented, but don't show me a human being who was forced to make the world of his time accept him for who he was as if to surprise me at his uniqueness. So, the museum had lots of other stuff, but I was so taken back by the section about the individuals that I couldn't enjoy any of it. I should have demanded a refund for the total disrespect the museum shows to individuals who don't meet Ripley's definition of "typical," but instead I bought Sophia the souvenir I promised and left in disgust. I vowed then I would urge my blog family to boycott Ripley's museums in most of our tourist cities, which I have done. Sophia and I will definitely pass next time, too.

Thank you for praying for Elijah. We are constantly watching his health.

Love to all,
Melissa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Girl, again I am impressed with your honesty and positive opinions of what is RIGHT and what is absolutely WRONG.
I have no worries as to the examples my great grandchildren will have in their parents.
God bless you. Bobbie
Emily Kaye said…
I am glad you're home and I will be more than happy to not go to Ripley's. It looks like you had a great trip and I'm so glad you had the opportunity to travel, see the family, and enjoy the sunshine and the beach! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Love you ALL!
Emily Kaye

Popular posts from this blog

Elijah Will Be Represented at Boston Marathon 2014

Seven...SEVEN!!

Tell us who you are