Eli's New Old Thumb

Sophia and I arrived at the hospital at 6:15 a.m. David was up and dragging around about to wake Eli for his special soap bath. I encouraged David to go to our hotel room and get some real sleep for a few hours and he did. We need him later in the day so our routine really works.

I gave Eli his bath and helped get his vitals. He had already had his I DON'T CARE med, but it wasn't working fast enough to help him through the pre-surgery activities. My mom and dad are here and arrived about 6:30. The doctor called for Eli right at 7 and I carried him up the elevator to the surgery area. I laid him in his crib and they wheeled him away watching Clifford on one of the hospital's mini DVD players. They take such great care to make sure my kid is not scared. Eli didn't even wink an eye as he went away.

So, we took up residence in the surgery waiting room and made it about 10 minutes when the phone rang. The nurse said the doctor wanted to talk to me and he'd be right out. Those of you who have been following my blog might know that I've never met the doctor who has performed now two previous surgeries on Eli. It's just the way it has worked out. I was a bit nervous.

The doc came out to tell me that he doesn't think Eli needs pollicization. He has a thumb (which we knew) but it lacks the proper muscles to make it work correctly. So, the doctor will be taking muscle from his little finger and attaching it to his thumb so that it will have the strength to flip over like a thumb. WOW! This will require NO pins. He will be casted with his thumb extended in the right position for 8 weeks.

This is good news. My desire is that Eli have thumb function. Please pray this change of plans accomplishes that.

Eli is in surgery now. Thanks for praying.

More later.

Love,
Melissa

Comments

Angie said…
Oh, God is so good!

Popular posts from this blog

Elijah Will Be Represented at Boston Marathon 2014

Seven...SEVEN!!

Tell us who you are